We were largely unaffected by Hurricane Katrina, although the eye of the storm passed over Starkville earlier this evening. My parents were without cable. We kept power with the occasional flicker here and there and had satellite most of the evening (which we usually lose anytime it rains hard). My in-laws who live about 30 miles to the west of Starkville are without power but other than that everyone in the family is doing fine. I know we lost a few large limbs, but I think our trees are intact. Area schools are closed tomorrow. We (my family) haven't suffered at all.
That isn't true for a lot of other people, especially in South Mississippi. According to Governor Haley Barber, Mississippi seems to have been hit pretty hard. Media reports say that there are 55+ dead on the Mississippi Gulf Coast (At least 50 in Harrison County).
I keep reading in the media that luckily the hurricane swerved at the last minute and didn't hit New Orleans directly. Tell that to the folks in Gulfport. I realize there is a huge disparity in population between New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but lives are lives after all. Most of the news outlets were out of place, a lot of coverage of New Orleans and Mobile for instance. Apparently there were very few crews in Gulfport and Biloxi. Later in the day more reports surfaced from Gulfport as it became clear that Gulport/Biloxi had taken the biggest hit. Relief workers can't even get into the area yet, so Governor Barber is asking for patience from those who are suffering.
UMCOR will be on the scene, naturally, so donate here if you can. Red Cross will be as well, so donate here if you prefer their work.
“Time won’t leave me as I am, but time won’t take the boy out of this man”--”City of Blinding Lights”, U2
Monday, August 29, 2005
- Leadership during Catastrophe
- Chronicles of Narnia Teaser Out
- Hogwarts Sorting Hat
- Methodist Podcasting
- More pics after the storm
- Aldersgate Post-Katrina Pics
- Hurricane Katrina Update
- Pastors, Politics, and Religion
- Hurricane Katrina Report from Starkville
- Sorry for the light posting
- Sick kid
- Hatin' John Wesley
- Book Shelf: Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin Serie...
- This is kind of cool...
- Confession/Profession Good for the Soul?
- Curious Deletion
- Political Activism in UM Churches
- Updates to my U2 post below
- Helpful Illustration of a Theodicy
- Papering Over Differences
- One of the reasons I really like U2
- Pool of Siloam reportedly found
- Wiki Project for Bible Translation
- Peter Jennings dead...
- Well I said I would reveal my deep ignorance...
- Tacit Messages Intentionally Delivered or Not
- Haloscan commenting and trackback have been added ...
- Sink or swim I'm diving in...
- ▼ August (29)