“Time won’t leave me as I am, but time won’t take the boy out of this man”--”City of Blinding Lights”, U2

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

One of the reasons I really like U2

I have been playing U2 a lot lately on my ipod and have been rediscovering the wonderful Christian themes that are a part of their music. I became a U2 fan because of their music, but as I grow older I have become to appreciate the things that they are saying in their songs. At 34, I listen to their album Boy in way that I couldn't appreciate when I was 17. (Which was U2's first album if memory serves). Some of their more explicitly Christian songs are "Gloria" and the recent "Yahweh".

Which makes this article by Gene Edward Veith so rewarding to read. It appears to me at one point in the interview Bono is quoting from Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. Bono can be kind of frustrating at times, but it seems like he has a good handle on the Christian understanding of grace and an ability to articulate it to a secular audience. I think the grace of God is undercommunicated in our evangelism efforts, when it should be the center.

Hat tip: Locusts & Honey

UPDATE: Andy Bryan at EnterTheRainbow likes U2 too. And umm...apparently looks exactly like Luke Skywalker.

ANOTHER UPDATE: In the comments section of Andy Bryan's blog, reader Michah points to some great U2 links along the the same theme:
Dude, you don't even mention (though, perhaps you have seen) this interview with Bono on Christianity Today's website. Also, no preaching Bono fan should be without Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog, a collection of sermons based on U2 songs, edited by some of my colleagues in the Episcopal ministry. And don't forget to keep up with their blog U2Sermons.blogspot.com.
LAST UPDATE OR I'LL HAVE TO START A NEW THREAD: rev-ed relates his thoughts to the article as well:
The author points out that many people question Bono's faith. Yet in a private interview, Bono sounds a little like C. S. Lewis using the Lord or Lunatic argument with his interviewer. At one point, the journalist says simply, "The Son of God who takes away the sins of the world. I wish I could believe in that." It's really an eye-opener for those of us who doubt the sincerity of the singer's Christianity. I wish every member of my church could witness like Bono did.

No comments: